Value proposition, the corner stone of every business model
Value propositions express the benefit for the users of the product or the service.
Simple as it may seem, it is a very difficult sport to design good value propositions. One way of practicing has been popularized by Joe Justice : using a simple wording constraint.
As a, … I can … so that
Here it is, you know the secret !
To identify value propositions, you use that wording constraint:
- as a (user, client, company, …)
- I can + verb
- So that + verb
With this simple phrasing, you can track the value (so that) for given users (as a).
How to proceed
Here is how we use the trick :
- 5 minutes of individual reflexion. One sentence per post it note
- 30 minutes of debriefing. Everyone voices his propositions.
- 15 minutes to analyse the propositions. You may want to regroup according users or value type.
- 30 minutes with the BM Canvas to define the other building blocks.